What is an initial size-up? In firefighting terms, an initial size-up/360 is a down and dirty of what I see as an officer of what is going on in the first few minutes of an emergency (fire, car crash, etc.), this initial size-up is the foundation for creating an incident action plan to mitigate the emergency.
After almost two decades as a professional in the fire service, not to mention a childhood as the daughter of the volunteer chief, I have learned that for organizations to have a healthy culture they need to have an honest assessment. My unique lens through which I see the world allows me to offer actionable solutions that all levels of an organization can connect with to create that healthy culture with sustainable change.
When organizations (and people) create a stable foundation, recruitment and retention will no longer be an issue, complaints will diminish, and communication at every level will improve.
If you were to conduct an initial size-up/ 360 of your organization, what would you see?
- You have done everything that you can think of to increase “check-box” diversity and create an inclusive work culture, yet numbers aren’t growing and your people are not happy.
- The number of complaints between employees is skyrocketing.
- There is a high number of women and minorities, but the culture is not healthy.
- There is an increase in drug and alcohol-related incidents.
- Increasing number of Domestic Violence incidents
- Mental health issues are rising
- There is a high turnover rate, losing employees after investing time and training.
- Everything is going great, and you want to do a checkup (prevention is critical).
My mission is to be a bridge of sorts, not only “connecting the dots” to help you see pain points that you might be missing, but also connecting the people within your organization. Together, we will find sustainable solutions and a language that allows for a healthy culture.
I do this by:
- Establishing a connection with the stakeholders in the organization through listening to what everyone has to say.
- Engaging in honest and direct conversations with all representatives at all levels in the organization
- Delivering the feedback from discussions to the executive leadership and decision-makers in the organization
- Asking questions about policies, procedures, and standards
- Helping organizations shore up from the inside out
- Facilitating difficult conversations
Click here to set up a free 30-minute Scene Size-Up